What is tattoo Tuesday about?May 17, 2016
Today is National Walnut Day. The best way that I know to celebrate this occasion is to go to Moody’s Diner on Route 1 in Waldoboro, Maine and have a slice of walnut cream pie.
Remember – Pie Fixes Everything
If you cannot make it to Maine, here’s the recipe:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups dark corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 unbaked 9-inch piecrust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together sugar, flour and salt in medium-size bowl. Stir in milk until smooth. Add eggs, corn syrup, butter and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
- Scatter nuts over bottom of piecrust. Pour in egg mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or until top is puffed and browned. Cool pie on wire rack to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Top with whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.
And why not get a tattoo: